January 08, 2014

Fav Movies of 2011

Another movies post!
I've finally watched all the 2011 movies that interested me or that I'd heard things about, here are some of my favs!

10. Something Borrowed: I love chick flicks so it's no surprise that this different take on a traditional chick flick (she falls in love with her best friend's fiance! shocker!) with John Krasinksi (who doesn't love Jim from The Office?) was in my top 10 favourite movies of 2011.

9. Battle: Los Angeles: I was dragged to this movie at the theatres and had low expectations based on the previews and synopses I'd seen. However, I was pleasantly surprised by this movie. The way it was filmed was very realistic in terms of the action sequences, fast-paced and shaky unlike traditional action movies. This movie also had a heart to it that I didn't expect. Definitely an overlooked movie of 2011 in my opinion.

8. The Descendants: I really enjoyed this movie, not only is it a great story about family and loss, but the acting is terrific. Thanks to her performance in this film, I am now a big fan of Shailene Woodley and have watched a number of movies just to appreciate her performance. This definitely deserved its nominations for Best Picture and Best Actor. Really glad that this won in the Best Adapted Screenplay category, because it's a terrific movie.

7. Limitless: Another movie I saw in the theatres. I was wary of this film from the previews which showed that success could be achieved by taking a pill. However, Bradley Cooper and Robert De Niro were fantastic, and it showed the powers and rationalization of addiction from a different angle that was definitely interesting.

6. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part II: I'm a huge Harry Potter fan, and I was generally pleased with this movie adaptation. Great performances by the majority of the cast and it did an excellent job concluding an epic film series.

5. The Help: This is actually the last movie I had left to see, and I finally saw it! Can't believe it took me so long to finally see this much-talked about film. You can believe the hype surrounding this film, great performances all-around, tragic/uplifting story, interesting characters. Really nothing bad to say about this film. Yes, it's close to 2 and a half hours long, but it is well worth that time!

4. Hugo: Another movie I'm surprised I liked. Again the previews seemed to focus on a young boy building an automaton. But the story is so much more than that. I urge all film lovers to give this movie a try as it not only has a great story but also highlights the history of film. Definitely deserving of all the accolades it received!

3. Super 8: Another great coming of age film. I loved the story behind this one as well as the focus on the main character and his dynamics with his friends. Again this movie is about movie making and boys that love movies. Dare I call it the E.T. of this generation?

2. X-Men First Class: Loved! Great cast (except for maybe the stone faced January Jones), lots of action, good character building (particularly for Professor X, Magneto, and Mystique). One of the best comic book movies to be released in a while. Action fans go check this one out! I can't wait for X-Men Days of Futures Past to be released!

1. The Debt: I cannot believe how little recognition this movie received. A great mystery/thriller set after World War II with several moral dilemmas at the forefront. Can I also mention how amazing this cast is? Helen Mirren and Jessica Chastain are among the best actresses and deserve juicy roles like this one. Not only would this movie please history fans, but also thriller fans, and movie fans in general.

Do you agree or disagree with my choices? Any of your favourites missing? I'm also open for suggestions for movies to watch!

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment